Thursday, November 20, 2014

do YOU like YOU?

We are all too aware of the role media has in one's body image and confidence.  Often times, the media can overwhelm us and make us believe we need to be someone we are not.  I have struggled with this myself, and I think we may all have to some degree.  There are so many things I wish were different:

  • More of us, women especially, had more confidence in ourselves
  • That we didn't compare ourselves to others
  • Be comfortable in our own skin - no makeup, sweats, you know!
  • Not trying so hard
  • That the media wasn't so influential on how we view ourselves

How do we combat this?  I have been trying to figure that out myself recently.  The best example I have to help combat this evil comes from a song.  Currently, my favorite song is "Try" by Colbie Caillat.  Unlike "All About That Bass" by Meghan Trainor, "Try" has a positive take on being who you are.  Just because you are skinny doesn't mean you are a "skinny b***h" and you don't need to have a lot of "boom boom" to have all the boys chase you and to keep men happy all night long.

Colbie's song is so inspirational!  Her lyrics (and video) motive us to be comfortable with who we are.

"You don't have to try so hard/You don't have to give it all away/You don't have to do a single thing."

"Why should you care, what they think of you/When you're all alone, by yourself/Do you like you?"

Like I said.  I am totally moved when I hear this song!!

So, what do we do about it?  Is there anything we can do?  The next assignment I have for SFL 358 is to write a letter to someone (a company, a person, etc.) and either 1. thank them for their positive influence in the media or 2. ask for something to change.  I think I want to take both sides of this, writing one letter to Colbie and her label thanking them for writing "Try."  I also want to write to a magazine, and explain to them that some of the stories they publish have a negative effect on society.  I will most likely go with the former, because I am so uplifted and motivated by "Try."

Anyway, I hope this is what someone needed.  I think I needed it for myself in some ways, to remember that
I AM A DAUGHTER OF GOD!  
He loves me, and if He loves me, I need to love myself.  I don't need the "popular's" dictating how I view myself.  I need to work hard at loving myself for who I am.  I have been blessed with talents, a family, a loving husband, good education, and much more!  I don't want to show ingratitude to Him who created me.  I am enough.

I just want to finish with these inspiring lyrics from "Try":

"Take your makeup off
Let your hair down
Take a breath
Look into the mirror, at yourself
Don't you like you?
Cause I like you."

Amen!  We shouldn't need more than to be who God created us to be.  That's enough for me.  Let's help that be enough for all of us.


Now, for the cherry on top.  Watch this video.  It will change your life, almost more than the lyrics!  You will be inspired to be better and do better.  Oh, you also might tear up, so have a tissue (or two) handy.  And remember, I like you, but more importantly...

HEAVENLY FATHER AND JESUS CHRIST LOVE YOU AND KNOW YOU!

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you! I found this video this past week and I fell in love with it. At first I was wondering why all of them had so much make up on, but as they took it off it really hit me. Especially in the video where they take off the filter on Colbie's face. It really shows how much editing is even in movies and videos. We are all beautiful to God. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was confused about all the makeup and "perfection" too! But I think it made the message that much more effective when they started to remove their extensions, makeup, and filters. Such a powerful message! It really did change my perspective on how we view ourselves. Thanks for reading and commenting! :)

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love this song! It's so easy to get caught up in comparisons when sometimes all we need to do is look in the mirror and be happy with what we see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and for your comment. I think too often we get caught up in what the world wants us to be, but we really need to figure out how to be happy with who we look at in the mirror each morning. We are all beautiful, and God loves us how we are.

      Delete