Friday, October 31, 2014

Hell-oween

I loathe Halloween.  Maybe that's a little much, but it's really not my favorite "holiday."  I read a blog the other day referring to it as "Hell-oween," and I thought it captured my feelings perfectly.  So, here are some reasons why I think this is a pointless holiday:

1. I despise scary things (i.e., haunted houses).
2. Only fun if you have kids to dress up.
3. I don't trust people (i.e., drug-induced candy).
4. My dad always said it was "Satan's holiday," so that must have just been ingrained in me..
5. Trick-or-treaters (you need an income, this comes back to #2 - needing kids).
6. Parties (introvert much?).

Now, it is probably not "Satan's holiday," but here some Halloween History Facts for you:

  • Dates back to the Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced sow-in).
  • The new year was celebrated on November 1, and it was believed that on the night before (October 31) that the worlds of the dead and living became blurred.
  • On October 31, the people would gather together, build bonfires, and burn crops and animals as sacrifices to Celtic deities.
  • Costumes were worn during their "festivities" (mainly saints, angels, and devils).
  • It was believed that ghosts of family members returned on October 31, and the living thought this return made it easier for making predictions of the future.
  • Basically, this was/is a holiday for the dead.
I won't keep going; by now it is crystal clear how I feel.  In short, my  feelings can be summed up with three things.

First, this quote (and clip, see left - watch it!) from the movie "Mean Girls":

"In 'Girl World,' Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it."


Second, watching "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown," and "Hocus Pocus."  Lame?  Maybe so.  But I'm a simple person, and I don't need all the gimmicks of Halloween.  In all honesty, I just want Thanksgiving and Christmas to come.
Finally, my favorite Halloween tradition - "The Life and Death of a Pumpkin."  I know it is tad lengthy, but it is definitely worth your time!  Sorry to burst your bubble, Halloween, but you're just not my "cup of tea" as they say.  But for all of you Halloween-ers, dresser-upers, and trick-or-treaters out there, here is my treat for you...

Happy Hell-oween!!

8 comments:

  1. I heard Taylor Swift say yesterday in an interview that she was "not going as anything slutty - it wasn't a reason for her to wear a bikini in OCT" or something very closely like that!!!! Oh I bought her 1989 CD too!!! Happy Halloween Ayris Joan! My little Rogue Xgirl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that too!! I hope that #TSwift keeps up her positive vibes. Thanks, momma! Hope you had an enjoyable "holiday."

      Delete
  2. I agree with you one hundred percent! My fiancé and I hate Halloween as well. We spent the day trying to fix his car and then we babysat my niece while my nephew went out trick or treating with my brother. Halloween is super lame if you don't have kids to celebrate with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That's about what my husband and I did. We worked all day, came home, watched movies, and cleaned house. We also turned out all the lights so we wouldn't have any trick-or-treaters.. Glad to know we are not the only ones out there!! Thanks for reading and commenting. :)

      Delete
  3. You come up with the funniest and craziest things to blog about Ayris. I love it. The only reason I even think about doing the Halloween festivities is strictly for the kids! It's one of those "tradition" things that we've done for years and will continue to do...dang it. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dana!! I am glad you read them. :) Yeah, Halloween is definitely a kids holiday (at least, it can be more fun with them). And traditions are great things - keep them up! Even if they are Hell-oween related!!

      Delete
  4. Hahaha, now I love Halloween. Or Hell-oween. But this post was just to dang funny not to comment on. Especially with the added flare of a Mean Girls clip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I am glad you enjoyed it. My husband actually suggested the Mean Girls clip, and it fit in perfectly! Thanks for reading and commenting. :)

      Delete