Friday, October 3, 2014

Family Search - Indexing

This blog will be short, I promise.  I was just thinking about General Conference this weekend, and trying to conjure up something I could do to get myself prepared for it.  This has kind of been a busy week, and I don't exactly feel "in tune" and prepared for Conference - which is weird for me!

Anyway, I want to extend a challenge for the weekend: index.  This is such a simple task, and super easy since we are all on our phones, tablets, and computers as it is.  Plus, it is a good use of our media time.

If you've never done it before, no need to fret!  Here are some basic instructions for you:

  1. Download the program: Get Started!
  2. Click Run or Open to install.
  3. This should save on your desktop, just double click to open.
  4. Register for an account (if you don't have one already).  If you have and LDS account, you can use that to log in.
So simple!  If you want some more direction on how to index, or why we index, then click here for videos, resources, and guidelines. 

That's all.  Told you, short and sweet today.  I really hope you all can take at least 30 minutes this weekend to accept this indexing challenge, and I hope you all have a great Conference weekend - listen and watch!  Happy indexing, y'all!

6 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS! I have started indexing this last week, and it has been awesome. I've finished three batches! You oughta check out this video about the amazing affect indexing can have in our personal lives... it made me cry! https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2014-06-01-redeeming-the-dead-redeemed-me?lang=eng

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to go, Shaundi! That is so cool! I am striving to do better with this and family history work in general. And thanks for sharing that video - so powerful!!

      Delete
  2. I love that you talk about doing family history work because it was mentioned so many times during General Conference. It definitely made me want to turn off Netflix and instead start looking for some names. Indexing is a geat place to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it was crazy! It made me want to do indexing/family history even more! Indexing is so simple, and like you said, a great place to get us started.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing! I have it downloaded onto my computer and this is a good reminder for me to actually do it. Such a better use of my time as opposed to what I usually use my computer for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I am glad this helped you. It is such a good reminder to have on your desktop. I know that I tend to waste time when I don't have those positive reminders. Good luck! :)

      Delete