Thursday, September 25, 2014

Wanted: Encouragers (there is a surplus of critics already)



As I mentioned in my previous post, I work full-time in the Especially For Youth office on campus at Brigham Young University.  The last few days here in the office have been slower than normal, and a tad quiet; this can given me some opportunity to sit and reflect on some things.

While sitting in my office this week, I was awakened to all of the positive media I am surrounded by.  Everywhere I turn, I see uplifting messages - old EFY banners, pictures of my family, quotes from the leaders of the Church, etc.  I don't know how long it's been since I have really paid attention to my working environment, but I have been reminded this week how calm and peaceful I feel here.

Look at some of the media messages I see everyday (see image to right).  These are messages of hope, love, and faith.  These messages keep me going throughout the day.  These messages keep me centered and aware of who I am.

These are positive media messages.

Why do messages like these resonate so well with people?  Because they are positive, uplifting, and encouraging.  Who wouldn't want those kinds of things in their life?

Media has just as much power to strengthen someone as it does to tear someone down - why is that?  Take a look at some ads for me (see below).


How do these make you feel?
Do they give you hope?
Do they make you feel good about yourself?
What is the focus?


Why does media have such an impact on how we view ourselves and the world around us?  Because it is powerful and triggers our emotions.  Thoughts like "I'm not skinny enough," "Bad things happen, so there is no point," or even, "I wish I looked like that," get into our heads, set up camp, and we allow them to stay.  So, how do we break this trend of letting negative media affect us?

We need to spread more of the good; encourage those around us; focus on the positive; and even #ShareGoodness.  There is so much good in the world, we shouldn't pass it up as often as we do.  It is easy to get down and out, but so much better for us to be strong.

"Wanted: Encouragers [We have a surplus of critics already, thanks." -The World


I am so grateful to work for a program that focuses on the good and helping people want to be better.  Can we help in that effort?  Encourage more positive media, and let's nix the negative.





4 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about this a lot lately too! We really can't get away from who the world tells us to be. But if we focus on the TRUTH, we remember who we really are and how much worth we all have. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a world we live in where every where we turn, there is something that tells us to "be different" or "look better." Kind of depressing.. But if we surround ourselves with positive, we can really become better people!

      Delete
  2. I was thinking "there is no point" just this morning! Thanks for this POSITIVE perspective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we feel there is no point - thank you world and depressing media!! Hopefully this helped you a bit. :)

      Delete