Tuesday, September 23, 2014

TRENDING NOW!

Who hasn't heard or seen the show "Duck Dynasty?"  If you happen to be living under a rock, here is a short clip for you to bask in:


Anyway, this video is beside the point.  I was on Facebook today (like that's anything new) and trending was "Sadie Robertson's Cowboy/Jazz Dance With Stars Brings Tear to Dad's Eye."  This was literally trending on every site: CCN News, Twitter, Facebook, Huffington Post, Access Hollywood - you name it!  

I suppose my question is this: why are reality television stars so popular?

Sadie Robertson is actually one of the more respectable reality TV stars I think, but why do we spend so much time obsessed with famous people's lives?  Are they really that much better than ours?  Do we not have anything else to be doing or think about?

Now, I get that I don't have the opportunity to dance with Mark Ballas, but does that make me (or you for that matter) any less important?  How much of our attention do we give to famous people?

More importantly I want to ask this question: what is trending in YOUR life?  Do we jump on the media bandwagon of what's popular?  Or do we spend time with things that may be more important, just less popular or trending?

Don't get me wrong - I love Duck Dynasty, and I think Sadie is killing it on DWTS this season!  But this trending issue today got me thinking about what is trending in my personal life.  Am I up on my homework or scripture knowledge or family news more than I am with all the juicy reality TV drama/gossip/news?  If I was Facebook, what would be in my "trending column?"  Think about it.

In other news - Sadie did in fact make her dad cry with her latest performance: 

1 comment:

  1. That in fact is a great idea for those Facebook programmers - it might tell us alot about ourselves, possibly things we don't even want to know!!! ie; trending, hours spent on Facebook, your concerns, what you think is important or just how many ways you can post a "selfie"!! (and I did see him tear up!!!)

    ReplyDelete