Monday, September 22, 2014

TiVo, TV your way.

So my husband went to a family dinner last night, but were pretty bummed that it was at the same time as the Seahawks vs. Broncos football game.  But, we could not believe what we saw when we arrived at dinner: my brother was watching the game on his iPad!

Now I know you are thinking something like, "What's the big deal?"  The BIG DEAL is this: he was recording the game at home (5 miles or so away) on his TiVo and watching it on his iPad.  He could fast forward, rewind, stop recording, pause - anything he would have been able to do had he been at home watching it.  He had full control of his television and recording device even though he was 5 miles away and on a different wireless network.

How does this even work?! "Tivo, TV your way." is right!!

Needless to say, my husband and I were in awe of this, and grateful that we were able to watch the remainder of the game.  How crazy is it that we have that much control now?  What do we even do with that much power?  We can go literally anywhere with our television in our hands.  Heck, I am just grateful most of the time to be able to record shows to watch them later; I don't even know what to do now that there is an option of watching my recorded TV (or live TV for that matter) on my phone, tablet, or computer away from my residence.  This feat is mind-boggling to me.

Is having your remote control in your hand everywhere you go TOO much?  What do we do now that we can watch our television anywhere now?  Are we too connected or too obsessed?  Don't get me wrong - my husband and I were elated to be able to finish the game, but it really got me thinking about how far media has come and where it is heading.

The real point of this post, obviously, was that the Hawks won - in overtime!  We would never have known the outcome (well, just not instantly)...  Go Hawks!

But what are YOUR thoughts on this?  Too much?  Or can't get enough?  Comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment